Organic Vegan Potato Salad

Friday, June 12, 2015

The weather has been really warm over here. If I had any doubts about it being summer, they are now gone!

These summer days remind me of growing up in South Florida and having barbecues by the pool. Even though I am a strict vegetarian now, I still love barbecue food.

Vegan potato salad with grilled seitan and vegetables and a side of pickled radishes


I LOVE potato salad but only knew how to make it with mayonnaise which has egg.  In the recent years, I discovered vegan mayo...definitely a life changer! It can be substituted for any dish that calls for mayonnaise and tastes pretty much the same! I specifically love Vegenaise.




I'm a little weird when it comes to my potato salad. I like the potato chunks to be larger.  Most people dice/chop the potatoes first before boiling them.  I like to just boil them whole and break up the boiled potato into large pieces. Also, I love hot sauce in my potato salad to give it an extra kick! In this recipe I used regular yellow mustard, however when I feel pretty fancy I'll use mustard seeds instead. 

I wanted something "summery" to go with the potato salad. I had originally planned to make seitan kebabs but realized I gave my skewers away before we moved into the new house. I believe in improvising with what you have while cooking. So I basically tossed some seitan and veggies with a fave Rub with Love Smoky Barbecue Rub and some olive oil and threw everything into the oven for about 25 minutes.



I had made some pickled radish a few days before and decided to add it to my summer menu.

Ingredients:
 -6 Yukon Gold Potatoes (You can use any variety though)
-1/4 cup frozen green peas
-1/4 cup shredded carrots
 -1/2 - 3/4 cup Vegenaise or any other vegan mayonnaise
-2 tbsp mustard (I used yellow but you can easily use brown.)
-1/2 tsp paprika
 -hot sauce (to taste)
-salt & black pepper (to taste)

Directions:
-Wash and clean potatoes.  Add to large pot with enough water to cover the potatoes. Turn heat to medium high and cover.


-Boil potatoes until soft when poked with a knife (about 30 minutes).
-Drain potatoes into a colander and let cool.


-Remove skins from potatoes and cut into large chunks. Set aside in a large bowl.


-In another pot add frozen peas to 1 cup of boiling water and let boil for about 5 minutes.


-Drain peas in a colander and rinse with cold water immediately.


-Add peas and carrots to potatoes.


-Add mayonnaise to veggies. Start with 1/2 cup and add more until desired texture is reached.
-Add mustard, hot sauce, paprika, salt and black pepper.


-Mix everything together well.
-Refrigerate for 1 hour before serving.  Or enjoy warm if you prefer. (I like my potato salad on the warm side!)

Serves 6-8


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!