Sesame Noodles

Monday, April 27, 2015

Hi all! Hope everyone's week is off to a great start!

Each new week starts off with tons of cooking, but somehow I fall off the bandwagon right around the weekend. Today I decided to make another one of my go-to recipes when I want something filling yet healthy....Sesame Noodles.



I really like this recipe because it's full of veggies and can be changed up to use whatever you have on-hand.  Sometimes I'll bake some tofu and add it to this dish to make it even more filling. Lately, I've been hating on tofu. I can tolerate it, but I'm just not the biggest fan right now during my pregnancy.  Meat-eaters can also add some chicken or even beef to this dish...just cut the meat into thin strips and cook/brown on medium-high heat first before adding the veggies to the pan.

Also, you can use soba noodles in this dish if you'd like. My husband is allergic to buckwheat, so I always substitute with somen noodles.

This recipe is super easy to make and you just need 1 pot to make it in.  Cut up some veggies, boil some noodles, prepare a marinade, stir-fry it all together...that's all! I used a large saucepan, but you can certainly use a large wok.



Ingredients:
-269g somen noodles (the package I used had 3 bundles of noodles...I used all 3)
-1/4 cup soy sauce
-1/4 cup sesame oil
-1 sprig of green onions, thinly sliced
-1/4-1/2 tsp chili flakes (you can also use chili paste, sriracha, or fresh chilies...just adjust according to your taste)
-1 inch piece ginger root, thinly sliced into strips
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1/2 lime, juiced
-1 bell pepper, thinly sliced
-1/2 cup shredded/grated carrots
-2 heads of baby bok choy, sliced (separate the stalks from the leaves)
-2 tbsp olive oil for frying
-sesame seeds for garnish (optional)


Directions:
-Prepare the marinade. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sesame oil, green onions, chili flakes, ginger, garlic, and lime juice. Whisk together and let sit.







-Prepare noodles according to package directions.



-Drain in a colander and set aside.


-In a deep saucepan, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. 

-Add bell pepper and stir to keep it from burning. Cook for 3-4 minutes until it just softens.


-Add bok choy stalks and stir over heat for another 2 minutes until tender.


-Next, add carrots and stir over heat for another 1-2 minutes until tender.

-Add bok choy leaves and stir over heat for another 1-2 minutes. You want all of the veggies to be tender at this point.




-Add noodles and quickly pour the marinade over the noodles. Mix well and QUICKLY (You don't want the noodles to stick to the pot so you really have to toss everything quickly!)


-Remove from heat as soon as everything is combined.

-Top with sesame seeds if using.



Serves 4-6



No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!