Organic Green Juice

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

There are several green juice recipes floating around out there...some with pears, others with mint leaves, or even parsley.  You really have to try different combinations and see what works for you. I happen to like this recipe a lot. It's full of nutrients and tastes great. When I juice consistently, I notice my skin looks brighter, my hair doesn't fall out as much, and I have a lot more energy.  I just feel better when I juice. Also, it really helps me ward off any cold or flu viruses floating around in the air by strengthening my immune system. Vitamin supplements are ok to replenish the body's nutrients, but if you can get them from food, it's even better!





You will need a juicer for this recipe.  I use this Breville version.  It is really easy to clean and I can even wash everything in the dishwasher.  You can also make this into a smoothie with a blender if you like by blending the ingredients with some coconut water.  Fiber from smoothies is super beneficial to heart and digestive health.


You want to try to drink this within a day or 2 of making it. Store it in the fridge until you're ready to enjoy.  It's highly perishable and the longer you wait, the less nutrients you get from it. Also, it just starts tasting weird if you wait too long to drink it!

Play around with your own variations to find a taste you love! I usually opt for organic ingredients for my recipe, too. And, when I'm done, I toss the pulp into my compost bin to do a little something nice for the environment. (More on that later!)

Ingredients:
-2-3 handfuls of organic spinach
-2-3 handfuls of organic kale
-3 organic green apples (any variety works)
-1 organic cucumber
-2 large stalks of organic celery
-1 inch cube of organic ginger root, peeled
-1 organic lemon, peeled




Directions:
-First, juice the spinach and kale. (Since they are leafy, they can sometimes get stuck in the juicer. I find juicing them first helps ensure they get fully juiced after juicing the other fruits and veggies.)
-Juice the apples.
-Add the ginger root then lemon and juice. (You want the ginger root weighted down by the lemon to prevent it from flying all over in the chute and never really getting juiced.)
-Finish by juicing the cucumber and celery. (Adding them last really "washes" out the juicer since they have the high water content.)

Serves 2

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!