Earth Day Action

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

 




Happy Earth Day, all! Today is the day where we celebrate our planet and pledge to take better care of it from today forward. Now what? Should we save the whales? Should we chain ourselves to trees in the rainforest to keep them from being cut down? Or maybe we should all buy electric cars to reduce our emissions? If you can do all of that, go for it! For a lot of us, we feel that if we can't make a large-scale change then we can't contribute as much as that millionaire who sold his mansion to live in a green cottage in the woods.  But the truth is, we can all make a difference. We just need to set achievable goals.  I think that pretty much applies to anything in life, like losing weight and saving money.

My goals are ones that I've thought about for a while: composting, switching my products over to cruelty-free ones, and being more conscious of my electricity use.  Although, I wish I could run to every circus and zoo and free the animals into the wild, I just don't think I have the resources to shuttle elephants from Seattle to Africa.

My 3 goals are ones that I know I can achieve if I put in a little effort. As you know, I've already started composting. I've been working on switching over my products to animal-friendly ones over the last couple weeks (more on that later) and it's been another easy change that I should have done a long time ago. I am terrible about my electricity use. My husband gets on my case for it too.  However, he's the type who'll sit in the house all day without a light on while he's working and struggle to see his monitor.  But I've decided to take a tip from his book and be a little more conscious. There's no need for me to leave lights on while I take a nap or while I'm not in the room.

The point that we should keep in mind is that although we have huge problems on our planet that need to be fixed, we can't get overwhelmed because that will only hurt the process and make us feel discouraged. Each of us can make a wide-scale difference if we all make small changes that are feasible.  Happy Greening! =) 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!